A Tribute to Greg Long

As some of you know, our friend, colleague and the founder of Capitol Greenroofs and this CollectiveX/Groupsite, Gregory Long, passed away this Spring following his battle with cancer.

Greg was a passionate advocate for green roofs and green walls and, as you - the members of this CollectiveX -- know, and his father Bob wrote, "would promote these to anyone who would listen." Indeed, Greg was instrumental in the establishment and proliferation of green roofs in Washington, DC and his work helped spark and nurture the green roof incentive program in the District of Columbia.

Greg was generous with his time and his expertise, willing to share what he knew with anyone that would ask. He was also eager to learn. He recognized that we each have unique expertise and that we can all become a little bit better by sharing our knowledge, our successes and our failures. To these ends, the Capitol Greenroofs CollectiveX was created.

There is a tremendous amount of knowledge within this CollectiveX that we can all learn from and even more that we can contribute. And so, we would like to preserve this CollectiveX, and encourage you to continue to contribute your knowledge, expertise, successes, questions and, failures, as a tribute to Greg.

Admittedly, the repositories of the CollectiveX need organizing and housekeeping. In the coming weeks, we will attempt to arrange discussions and files so that they may be browsed more easily. We welcome your suggestions.

Greg was not married, nor did he have children. His legacy is within each of us. Greg wanted to build green roofs. He wanted to learn, collaborate, share and grow. He wanted to float down a river in any way possible.

Please share your favorite memories and stories of Greg in the new forum, "A Tribute to Greg Long" here: http://capitolgreenroofs.groupsite.com/discussion/forums/388389/topics

Greg was a colleague and mentor. He had a big heart, a generous smile and was always ready with a joke or sarcastic remark. Most importantly, he was my friend. I - we - miss him.

Travel on that river my friend.

Replies to this Topic

G Long was one of the most influential people of my 20's, but I doubt he knew that.  I met him as a young horticulture student and was invited to build some green roofs with everybody at CGR in 2010.  I loved every day I got to work with CGR.  G Long would take us out to lunch and was like a jolly king, he was always enjoying the humorous and lighthearted side of life when I knew him.

I was lucky enough to work with CGR over a few winters on and off as the years went on.  Rolling upto his house before the sun came up to go install a greenroof was always a good day.

My favorite memory with G-Long was installing a green wall on the German Embassy in D.C.  We were on an electric scaffold together and drilling heavy modular panels into a concrete wall.  Greg had the perfect temperment of someone who works extraordinarily hard, but keeps a good disposition and has fun and enjoys himself making work feel more like playtime.

I'll be grateful for G-Long and CGR for the rest of my days.  I can only think of Greg and smile - what an awesome guy.

-Eli

You must be logged in and a member of this Groupsite in order to post a reply to this topic.
To post a reply, contact your group manager(s) Join this Groupsite

Capitol Greenroofs